Deadline: March 9, 2015
Type: Fully Funded
Date: 13th June – 20th June 2015
Location: New York, USA
The Summer School is a unique space for learning and collaborating that welcomes a diversity of participants, speakers and educators from a wide range of contexts. In this space, diverse perspectives, experiences and epistemologies contribute to greater understanding and respect among people, encourage new thinking, and inspire context-sensitive action and solutions.
The conviction that young people are drivers of positive social change is the basis for the UNAOC-EF Summer School. This weeklong summer school brings together 75 individuals aged 18-35 from across the globe, to address pressing global challenges in the context of cultural and religious diversity.
One highlight of this year’s Summer School will be a visit to the United Nations headquarters in New York City. Participants will have the opportunity to explore the UN space, how it operates and addresses issues such as disarmament, peace and security. A special panel discussion will be arranged in which they can engage with UN officials.
In summary, the Summer School seeks to:
- Facilitate moments of encounter, exchange and skill-building between young people;
- Strengthen young people’s capacity to get involved in the preparation and implementation of joint action across divides;
- Support youth in maximizing their impact as they bring about social change;
- Promote collaborative relationships between people from diverse backgrounds;
- Develop a network of alumni and make it a true platform for joint action to help address global challenges.
The UNAOC – EF Summer School takes place from 13 June 2015 to 20 June 2015 and will be held on EF’s historic American campus in Tarrytown, New York. Participants will be hosted on the center’s 25-acre campus, which boasts on site residences, student lounges, a fitness center and swimming pool.
In order to be considered eligible to apply, you must fulfill all of the following criteria:
- be between the ages of 18 and 35 years old on 13 June 2015 — the start of the UNAOC – EF Summer School.
- be linked to an organization or a network (e.g. youth council, youth NGO, non-profit organization, youth-led organization, community organization, faith-based organization, youth network or platform, college, university, social entrepreneur, blogger, etc.)
- hold a passport valid until at least January 2016 (for a visa to be issued, a passport needs to be valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of entry into the country).
- possess upper-intermediate English proficiency.
Selected participants of the UNAOC – EF Summer School 2015 will be provided with the following:
- international travel to and from the international airport closest to their residence,
- cost of USA visa processing, if applicable (if the participant needs a visa to enter the USA,
- shared accommodation (triple or quadruple rooms with participants of the same gender) while in Tarrytown,
- meals during the official portions of the Summer School,
- full event access during the entire week of the Summer School,
- shuttles from and to the airport in New York City,
- the cost of US and transit visas (if applicable),
- the cost of vaccinations required to enter the US (if applicable), and
- international travel insurance while traveling from their residence to the Tarrytown campus until their return home from the program.
Register at their website to fill out the online application.
The last day to complete your application to attend the UNAOC – EF Summer School is 9th of March 2015 at23:59 New York City local time.
Any application received after this deadline will not be accepted.
If you are selected, the organizers of the Summer School will send you an official letter of invitation to be used as part of your USA visa application. In addition, the organizers will send a message to the USA embassy serving your country to alert them of the fact that you will soon apply for a visa to the USA.