Yay! It’s finally open again. I am ready to apply, to fight, to try, to failed. To Succeed.
YSEALI Academic Fellows
What is it?
Since Spring 2015, Indonesian YSEALI Academic Fellows have joined fellows from other ASEAN countries to take part in academic institutes in one of three core YSEALI themes:
- Civic engagement
- Environment and natural resources management
- Entrepreneurship and economic development
The YSEALI Academic Fellowships are intensive short term academic Institutes whose purpose is to provide groups of young leaders with a deeper understanding of the United States, and a particular theme, while simultaneously enhancing their leadership skills.
These five-week institutes, held on the campus of a U.S. university or college, include an academic residency, leadership development, an educational study tour, local community service activities, and opportunities to engage with American peers. Each program concludes in Washington, D.C. to allow for engagement with policymakers, governmental representatives, businesses, and think tanks.
Who is eligible to apply?
YSEALI members from all 10 ASEAN countries who are current undergraduate or graduate students or recently graduated.
Technical Eligibility Requirements
Applicants must be:
- Between the ages of 18 and 25 at the time of application;
- A citizen of one of the following countries: Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam;
- A resident of one of the following countries: Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam;
- A full-time undergraduate student or graduated in the past four years from college, university, or other institutions of higher learning;
- Proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English; and
- Eligible to receive a United States J-1 visa (A J-1 visa is for individuals approved to participate in work-and study-based exchange visitor programs. As part of the J-1 visa, you are required to adhere to a two-year Foreign Residency Requirement. This means you will be required to reside in your home country for a period of two years before taking part in a similar program).
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities and potential in their university, place of work, and/or community;
- Demonstrate interest, knowledge, or professional experience in one of the YSEALI themes;
- Demonstrate a commitment or interest in community service, volunteerism, or mentorship;
- Indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States and ASEAN as a region;
- Be willing to actively participate in an intensive academic program, community service, and study tour;
- Have a commitment to return to their home country to apply leadership skills and training to benefit their community, country, or the ASEAN region; and
- Preferably have little or no prior study or travel experience in the United States.
How to Apply:
The electronic application form may be downloaded HERE.
Applicants should submit an application for this program by e-mail.
The application deadline is May 15, 2016.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be notified for interview.
Questions? E-mail: YSEALIjkt@state.gov